Act Quickly After A DUI Arrest
You should know that an early consultation after your DUI arrest is essential to minimizing charges and holding onto your license. Unless immediate steps are taken to request an MVA hearing or enter programs that permit driving with an “ignition interlock” device, license suspensions usually occur shortly after a DUI arrest. Obtaining an alcohol evaluation, education or treatment program as quickly as possible after your arrest is also essential for a good result in court.
Bours & Lucero, LLC, has one of Maryland’s most preeminent attorneys in DUI defense. We offer solutions for both court and MVA issues.
Penalties For Driving Under The Influence Of Alcohol
Under Maryland law, there are four different types of charges related to driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. These charges and the penalties if convicted are as follows:
Driving under the influence of alcohol or DUI per se: Driving under the influence of alcohol is the most serious type of drunk driving, where the defendant is extremely drunk or substantially affected by the consumption of alcohol. DUI per se charges involve a breath test result of .08 or greater, which establishes that the driver was under the influence based on the test [per se] alone. Penalties for either conviction may include:
- Up to one year in jail
- A fine of up to $1,000
- 12 points assessed on your driving record
Our legal team has deep knowledge of technical issues concerning breathalyzer devices and sobriety check procedures. We use that knowledge to work toward getting charges reduced and prevent breath test results from being admitted in court.
Driving while impaired by alcohol: This is the lesser charge involving alcohol and driving in Maryland. Penalties include:
- Up to 60 days in jail
- A fine of up to $500
- 8 points assessed on your driving record
Because judges are reluctant to acquit any alcohol offender completely, obtaining a reduction of more serious charges to driving while impaired is a realistic option in many cases.
Driving while impaired by drugs, or drugs and alcohol in combination have the same penalties as driving impaired by alcohol alone. Driving while impaired by a controlled dangerous substance has the same penalties as DUI charges. Drug-related arrests often involve an extra police witness called a “Drug Recognition Expert.” Bours & Lucero, LLC, is one of only a few law firms involved in the type of in-depth research required to successfully defend these types of cases.
Why Do I Need A DUI Lawyer?
If you’ve been charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, our legal team can guide you through the Maryland Court System and help minimize the penalties against you. Here are just five of the many reasons why you should hire our firm.
- We have expert knowledge of Maryland’s DUI law. The average criminal litigator does not typically have the expertise needed to protect you from the potentially severe consequences of DUI charges. We have the knowledge of Maryland’s DUI laws to get you the best possible result.
- We have four decades of experience in DUI court proceedings. For two generations, we have defended clients against DUI charges in general district court. We understand how to navigate the complicated DUI judicial process and make sure that you are prepared for your day in court.
- We have a strong background in traffic and motor vehicle law. Our years of representing clients with moving violations and other traffic offenses give us a solid grounding all traffic and motor vehicle laws. We leverage our foundational knowledge to craft strong courtroom strategies to get the best possible outcomes.
- We understand the dynamic nature of DUI law. Perpetual changes in DUI law make a complete understanding of the area difficult to maintain. We are meticulous in keeping track of the frequent revisions to DUI law.
- Preventing the suspension of your license is a top priority. We recognize that operating a motor vehicle is critical to almost every aspect of your life. Whether it’s an ignition interlock device installation or an MVA hearing, we will help you find a way to hold onto your driver’s license.
Contact Bours & Lucero, LLC Today
Bours & Lucero, LLC, offers one of the most accomplished and knowledgeable DUI defense attorneys in the Rockville, Maryland, area. Look for results, not volume discounts. Our fees are reasonable and are based on the facts of each case. Call us today at 240-428-0933 or fill out our online contact form to ensure you have DUI lawyers who are ready to go to bat for you.